Tuesday, January 8, 2008

First Fight of Pacquiao and Marquez

Here's a snapshot of what happened during the first fight coming from BoxingScene Review.



It was a fight where it appeared to be over in the first round. Juan Manuel Marquez was knocked down three times in the first round and appeared to be on his way to getting knocked out by Manny Pacquiao. Marquez showed his will to win by never giving up and staging a miracle comeback down the stretch. The fight ended in a very controversial draw that allowed Marquez to keep his WBA and IBF 126 pound titles.


Pacquiao was catching Marquez with repeated left hand bombs to drop him three times in the first round. Marquez seemed to figure out Pacquiao by the third round and was timing his left hand everytime Pacquaio threw the punch in order to get out of the way and counter. Marquez had a busted nose and Pacquiao had a cut over his right eye from the fifth round.


The crowd was on it's feet for an exciting battle that saw Marquez rally his way as the fight went on to close the gap on the score cards. It was one of those fights where both men came out like winners because of the heart they showed in the battle.


"I should have won the fight. I'm disappointed. I thought I won, I didn't think it was close," Pacquiao said. "I thought I took his fight away from him." " Pacquiao said.


"In the first round I got careless and got hit with a right hand," Marquez said. "I was disoriented after the first round, but once I got over that I thought I controlled the fight. In the first round I went in there overconfident," Marquez said. "But I survived that and I thought I won."


"I thought Pacquiao had the edge, my God, we had a 10-7 edge in the first round," Roach said.


Fight Facts


Two of the three judges, scored the first round 10-6 in Pacquiao's favor. Jutras was one of those judges, but he then scored 10 of the next 11 rounds for Marquez.

0 comments: